A key new member of a family of HD portable lenses, the HJ18ex7.6B is a 2/3-inch portable HD lens designed to support high definition electronic news gathering and HDTV production. Intended for producers and broadcasters, the lens offers outstanding optical performance, maintaining high peripheral resolution throughout its range.
The HJ18ex7.6B utilized breakthrough technologies and powerful computer-aided design techniques to produce an HDTV lens with a generous focal length range in a modest 3.5 lb package. Featuring a complete redesign from its predecessor model, this lens represents the latest in Canon's exemplary research and development efforts.
The HJ18ex7.6B can represent a cost effective solution to the pressing demands of broadcast newsgathering for low-weight and high-mobility and the exacting performance requirements for HDTV acquisition. The magnesium alloy body produces low weight and high durability. Superb optimization strategies helped achieve the sought-for performance – having a high resolution, best-in-class Minimum Object Distance (0.56m), an excellent MTF profile over the entire image plane, minimization of chromatic aberrations, and maximization of image contrast. The maximum aperture of f 1.8 makes this lens suited to low-light newsgathering acquisition.
A revamped digital drive unit brings improved functionality and operability to users. A new mode allows for a simple menu structure where users can easily access the most commonly used functions. Three 20-pin connectors help to improve functionality when used in a virtual studio system. Positional data can be detected immediately, which enables the lens to communicate with the camera immediately without any manual initialization. Additionally, the revamped drive unit boasts a reduction in power consumption.
Uniformity of brightness across the image plane combines with the high contrast and excellent picture sharpness to produce vividly clear HD pictures. Contrast was extended by superb control of black reproduction – with optical and mechanical design innovations that reduce flare, veiling glare, and any internal reflections. Similar attention to minimization of ghost images and other highlight-related chromatic distortions caused by strong light sources on-axis and off-axis further extend the operational contrast range of the lens.
Tight control of the critically important geometric distortion at wide-angle settings constituted another central design imperative. The lens spectral transmittance characteristic was closely coordinated with that of all of the major portable cameras industry wide, to help ensure adherence to the HDTV colorimetric standards and to additionally support flexible creative control of color reproduction.
While the lens performs well in the close range often used in news reporting, compared to the previous HJ17ex7.6B- the HJ18ex7.6B has an expanded range of 7.6 – 137mm (274mm with 2x extender). This wider range is helpful in a variety of new gathering situations. Best of all, the lens is able to maintain a high level of optical performance at any distance within the range of the lens.
- A variety of technologies converged to produce the HJ18ex7.6B portable HD ENG lens system that has been tailored to partner with today's highest performing HDTV portable cameras and camcorders
- Newly developed optical materials combined with the very latest lens element design innovations and multilayer coatings - that produce an unsurpassed pristine imaging system for the most discerning production team.
- Power Optics - speaks to the combination of specialized materials, contemporary optical design, and multilayer coatings that produce the superb imagery
- Internal Focus - a Canon design innovation that uses a focusing system to better control chromatic aberrations while minimizing unfavorable focus-breathing effect.
- New enhanced digital servo systems using Canon-developed 16-bit optical rotary encoder devices introduce value-added creativity to handheld acquisition systems
- Improved Digital Drive Technology - Encompasses a microcomputer driven servo control that embodies position memory and user-defined digital functionality to empower the camera operator charged with creative shaping of the image presented to the camera sens
- 16-bit rotary encoder for aperture control reports to the associated camera Iris control system (10-bit compatibility)
- Virtual operation is enabled by a full servo using three 20-pin connectors.
- Improved Menu functionality in drive unit
- ALAC (auto lens aberration compensation), CAC (chromatic aberration compensation) and other types of camera aberration corrected thanks to rapid start-up and turn-on. Use of an absolute value encoder enables positions to be detected at the same time as sta
- Compact digital servo drive unit is mounted to the lens at a 12.5 degree angle for comfort and balance
- Magnesium alloy body for light weight and superb durability
- All contemporary Canon lenses avoid the use of materials and substances potentially harmful to the environment. Lead has been removed from all optics and other identified substances from all components comprising the composite lens system