The HJ21x7.5B KLL-SC will be attractive to many cinematographers who seek this degree of extended control over lens focal length. Weighing in at 5.9 lbs, the lens works well in diverse applications – including handheld, compact tripod, lightweight jib-arm, and Steadicam shooting. It is particularly suited for long shooting distances on location.
The design has achieved a very high MTF that is optimally distributed across the image plane and that holds up well over the entire 7.5mm to 158mm focal range. Combined with the superb contrast performance and a remarkably well-controlled relative light distribution characteristic, the resultant picture sharpness contributes to imagery of extraordinary clarity.
- Power Optics – speaks to the combination of specialized materials (Hi Index, Ultra Low Dispersion glass and some Fluorite elements), contemporary optical design, and multilayer coatings that produce the superb imagery (called the X-element optics):
- Virtual elimination of curvature of field and dramatically reduced chromatic aberration
- Optimization of MTF at the wide aperture settings
- Very short MOD of 45.7 inches from the image plane
- Internal Focus – a Canon design innovation that uses a three group floating optical system to better control chromatic aberrations
- Common 95mm port on all of the lenses (same optical filters and matte boxes apply to all six lenses)
- Magnesium alloy body for exceptionally low weight of 5.9 lbs and rugged durability
- Dual large and luminous scales for Focus (marked in feet) and Iris facilitate precision control in low light shooting environments
- 270 degree rotation for the Focus control
- Eight-blade Iris
- Traditional film-style lens feel and operation – no mechanical play or backlash
- Unified and precision positioning of the Zoom, Focus and Iris gearing facilitate rapid and accurate lens exchanges
- Gear rings are compatible with external standard motorized control systems used for film lenses.