The KH20x6.4 KRS used contemporary optical design criteria to achieve an excellent multipurpose HD lens offering focal lengths up to 128mm and a wide-angle of 57 degrees horizontal. Combined with an exceptionally high sensitivity (F1.4 maximum aperture) this is a lens that can encompass an unusually broad range of shooting situations at an attractive price point.
The KH20x6.4 KRS utilized breakthrough technologies and powerful computer-aided design techniques to produce an HDTV lens with an excellent performance-cost optimization. It is a design directly responding to the expressed creative desires of broadcasters and HD producers for low-cost HD POV and special-application acquisition systems, while also facilitating the corporate, business and industrial sectors to painlessly transition from SD to HD.
The KH20x6.4 KRS represents a fine compromise between the demands for mobility in a handheld HDTV camera system and the high imaging performance requirements for HDTV production. The requisite optimization strategies to achieve this balance sought a high MTF over the entire image plane, minimization of chromatic aberrations, and maximization of image contrast. Relative light distribution was optimized for the more open aperture settings and this uniformity of brightness across the image plane combines with the high contrast and excellent picture sharpness to produce vividly clear HD pictures. Contrast was extended by careful control of black reproduction – with optical and mechanical design innovations that substantially reduced flare, veiling glare, and any internal reflections. Tight control of the geometric distortion at wide-angle settings constituted another central design imperative. The lens spectral transmittance characteristic was closely coordinated with that of all of the major portable cameras to ensure adherence to the HDTV colorimetric standards and to additionally support flexible creative control of color reproduction.
- Optical Technologies – Optical materials combined with the very latest lens element design innovations and multilayer coatings – that produce an unsurpassed pristine imaging system for the most discerning production team
- Internal Focus – A Canon design innovation that uses a floating optical system to better control chromatic aberrations
- Digital Technologies – Third-generation enhanced digital servo systems using Canon-developed 16-bit optical rotary encoder devices introduce entirely new value-added creativity to handheld acquisition systems
- Advanced Drive technology encompasses servo control that allows the operator to precisely zoom between tow pre-programmed zoom positions
- Maximum Zoom speed is 1.2 seconds over entire range
- Mechanical Technologies – Ergonomic mechanical design that produced this HD lens having the same size and weight as its SDTV predecessor
- Ecological Design – All contemporary Canon lenses avoid the use of materials and substances potentially harmful to the environment
- Lead has been removed from all optics and other identified substances from all components comprising the composite lens system