The new KJ22ex7.6B is a telephoto lens covering a generous range of focal lengths while also providing a modest wide-angle of almost 65 degrees in the 16:9 HD image format. This provides a very flexible image framing range especially for outdoor applications. The central design criteria for this new lens sought an excellent balance between size, weight, and HD optical performance intended for HD News and many HD production applications. Customer recommendations based upon experiences with our first generation HDgc telephoto lens combined with the harnessing of new optical design strategies and new advanced optical materials to produce an excellent overall price performance ratio for the new KJ22ex7.6B.
The optical performance of the KJ22ex7.6B has been improved on a number of fronts compared to its predecessor KJ21ex7.6B. The new lens deploys Large Diameter Aspherical lens elements that contribute to a better control of comatic aberration, geometric distortion, and corner resolution. Curvature of field and chromatic aberrations have been reduced by use of special optical materials that include Fluorite and Hi-UD glasses. Computer optimization of both the optical and optomechanical designs contributed to achieving a high-performing telephoto lens within a compact and lightweight body.
Coupled with innovations in optical performance, is a totally new design of the digital drive unit. Refined by long-term market research and worldwide experience, Canon utilized the latest in 3D CAD-CAM design to significantly improve the human tactile interface to the control of zoom, iris, and focus.
- Optical Technologies - Newly developed optical glass materials each having unique dispersion characteristics allowed improved control over chromatic aberrations and geometric distortion
- Digital Technologies - New fourth-generation digital servo systems further empowers the camera operator in terms of operational creativity
- Optomechanical Technologies - Extensive use of 3D CAD-CAM design facilitated a design that paid high attention to operator comfort and attendant lowering of fatigue during protracted shooting
- Ecological Design - All contemporary Canon lenses avoid the use of materials and substances potentially harmful to the environment
- Lead has been removed from all optics and other identified substances from all components comprising the composite lens system