The worldwide explosion in HDTV production and the emerging interest in 1080/60P/50P studio origination spurred the desire for increasingly higher performing HD studio lenses. The design of this third-generation HD studio lens sought the highest possible image performance in the 2/3-inch image format. A decade of progressive advances in optical design techniques, optical materials, optical coatings, and multiple manufacturing processes coalesced to produce a truly outstanding HD studio lens.
- Power Optics – speaks to the combination of specialized materials, contemporary optical design, and multilayer coatings that produce the superb imagery
- Internal Focus – a Canon design innovation that uses a floating optical system to better control chromatic aberrations
- Crossover Technology – switchable operation between 16:9 and 4:3 aspect ratio imagery
- Wide Attachment (Optional)
- 4-Position Turret –a switchable system controlled from the associated camera that can switch in the optical extender system or the aspect ratio converter (an additional position allows for future new possibilities)
- Auto-Focus – HD video's tremendous picture detail demands precise focus. Canon's extensive experience in long zoom field-lens design provides a unique understanding of the challenges camera operators face in simultaneously paying close attention to picture