The DIGISUPER 86xs series offers the second longest zoom ratio among the family of six HDTV field lenses presently offered by Canon. There are two lenses in this category the XJ86x9.3BIE-D wide-angle and the companion longer telephoto XJ86x13.5BIE-D that further extend the flexibility.
The DIGISUPER 86xs series has become the most popular long field lens in the emerging fleets of HDTV mobile television facilities. Canon harnessed the best in optical, mechanical, and digital technologies to implement a long zoom lens that remains modest in its size and weight. Both lenses in the DIGI SUPER 86xs utilize an exceptional built-in image stabilization system to support such long zoom ratio operations.
These two lenses are intended for mobile truck operators, broadcasters, and major venue operators having as their foremost priority the greatest telephoto flexibility for high definition sports and entertainment event coverage. It can equally service the special needs of government (homeland security) and many institutional sectors of the market that might have long telephoto as a priority.
The DIGISUPER 86xs design applied the most state of the art in Canon optical technologies to break a barrier in focal length range that many considered impossible. Canon's renowned engineering design optimization strategies were once again brilliantly applied to the unique technological challenges of providing full HDTV image quality while implementing control of focal length over the formidable range from 9.3mm to 800 mm for the XJ86x9.3BIE-D (1600 mm with extender) and an even longer 13.5 1161mm for the companion XJ86x13.5BIE-D (2322mm with extender). The designs paid particular attention to streamlining the ergonomics and physics of such challenging optical systems. The built-in optical image stabilization system (that makes such an unprecedented focal range practical) has earned industry acclaim.
The optimizations within the optical design successfully maintain a high MTF profile over the entire image plane when exercising the unprecedented 86:1 focal length change. A parallel optimization paid close attention to minimizing chromatic aberrations over this same focal range. Recognizing the especially challenging nature of sports and event coverage (that regularly encounter challenging low scene lighting) the lens designers also gave a special priority to achievement of an impressive maximum relative aperture of f 1.7 for the XJ86x9.3B and f 2.4 for the XJ86x13.5B.
Contrast was extended by superb control of black reproduction with optical and mechanical design innovations that substantially reduced flare, veiling glare, and internal reflections. Similar attention to minimization of ghost images and other highlight-related chromatic distortions caused by strong light sources on-axis and off-axis further extend the operational contrast range of the lens. The resulting superb contrast range of these lenses augments their high picture sharpness. The combination ensures stunning picture clarity for sports, large events, and high-resolution surveillance imagery.
- Incorporates Canon’s advanced optical quality and superior image stabilization performance, extending the line of must-have field production lenses with a focal length of 13.5 – 1161mm (2,322mm w/2X)
- Equipped with built-in Optical Image Stabilizer, or Shift-IS system, that has transformed production content, this allows directors to capture dramatic, high impact long shots and deliver them shake-free to the viewing audience
- With Shift-IS, two shake-detecting sensors for yaw and pitch help to move the Shift-IS lens group horizontally and vertically to counteract the image shake and maintain a totally stable picture
- Performance is further bolstered by the advanced HDxs system, which uses the X-element and Power Optical System for superior specs in a lightweight package
- All DIGISUPER lenses have Canon’s second generation Digital Servo System, bringing improved ease of operation through features like CAFS, Speed Preset, Shuttle Shot and Framing Preset, Digital Zoom Demand and Digital Focus Demand
- In addition, HDxs lenses provide exceptional results when used with SDTV cameras and provide the perfect “Future Proof” game plan